Monday, October 12, 2009

Sept.22, 2009 - 34 Week Update


Entering the homestretch...and by stretch...I mean STRETCH!!!

It's amazing to me how God designed a woman's body to do all that it needs to do to carry a precious little (bowling ball feeling at times) life. I literally walked by a store window the other day and had to back up to take another look at myself! I could not believe my profile!! Obviously, I see myself grow each day but there are moments when I walk by a mirror or a window and actually startle myself! Each day my lovely baby bump takes on a new shape and size! With my belly stretching each day, I am beginning to see more defined shapes of elbows, feet, legs, and a little round bottom as Hudson is running out of room in his cozy little shack. Most days his little bottom rounds out and presses out a few inches above where my belly button once was! At the same time, I'll feel an ever jabbing elbow in my left hip area. As uncomfortable as it seems, I love every bumping minute of it! I know that someday soon everyone will be seeing his little arms and legs. I can't wait to wrap my arms around him already and to see just who was rolling around in there for so long!
I feel really wonderful. My energy is slowly but surely running out and my ankles really have begun to swell at the end of each day, but I can still keep up with my kids on the playground and do the hokey pokey with 22 seven year olds with the best of them...so I consider myself to be doing pretty well!
This week's doctor's appointment went really well! My blood pressure, weight, sugar, iron, etc. was all right on target and Hudson's growth was really wonderful. He's still head down and our doctor mentioned how long she thought he was! She pointed out where she thought all of his little appendages were and it was amazing to me that he, as long as he is, is able to fold himself up in there!
We had our first two baby classes this past week! Our first class was with 6 other expecting couples and we learned all about newborn care! Garrett was a diaper and swaddling champ! I was so proud of his bundling skills. It was especially nice chatting with other mommies and daddies to be. Next, we had a breastfeeding class. We showed up only to find that Garrett would be asked to leave! Yes, that's right. He was kicked out of breastfeeding class. God bless him. He was so understanding and so eager to be there with me for moral support. The instructor asked him to leave as he was the only daddy who came and was worried that he would make the other mommies feel uncomfortable! lol Oh well...he got an A for effort in my book. The class was great...overwhelming...but really very informational and supportive.

To round (are you seeing a theme here...if not refer back to my picture posted above!) out the week we had an amazing shower thrown by our church family. So many people came together and made such a special afternoon for us. We were so touched and thankful for everyone's love and generosity!












Our beautiful "sweet pea" cake!



















A "Hudson" blanket


A very grateful mommy and daddy to be!
Here's what's cookin during week 34...
Your baby kind of looks like he's coated in a layer of cream cheese these days. The thick, white substance that protects his skin from pruning in the amniotic fluid is called vernix. Other news from the womb this week: The soft fur, lanugo, that covered your baby's body for much of her stay in the womb is now almost completely gone. Your baby begins to develop his own immune system, instead of relying solely on antibodies received through the placenta. This will come in handy when some grubby relative manhandles the baby without washing his hands first. This week, your baby measures about 17¾ inches, as almost as long as an American Girl Doll and weighs almost 5 pounds, as heavy as a bag of sugar, minus the cup you put in your decaf this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment