
My first night as a mommy went really well! Even though I was emotionally and physically exhausted, I couldn't wait for Cassandra to bring Hudson in for his first feeding. I laid in my hospital bed just trying to take in everything that had happened. In the glow of the nightlights, I could see Garrett's sleeping silhouette, the outline of the stuffed animals on the windowsill, and the "Welcome Hudson" sign on the wall. My body felt so lifeless yet my brain and my heart were never so alive. As I tried to snuggle into my bed, it felt so strange to not have a big belly to rest my arms on. I actually tried to remember what it felt like to have Hudson kicking, rolling, and hiccuping in there! With those thoughts I must have fallen asleep because before I knew it I heard the opening of the door and Cassandra saying, "Your little cuddle-bug is here!" I sat straight up and couldn't wait to hold him again! I asked how he was doing with her in the nursery and she said that he was the best little snuggler ever. Of course he received some major VIP treatment as Cassandra kept him with her all night. Hudson had been making nightly rounds with her!
She lifted Hudson into my arms and told me that she would be back in a little while to get him. I remember looking down at him thinking how tiny he was and how surprised I was that this little 7lb 3oz peanut wasn't actually the 15lb bowling ball that he resembled in my belly!
Garrett really wanted me to wake him up each time Hudson came in to be fed but I didn't have the heart to wake him. He slept just like a....well...a baby.
He did wake up to find Hudson and I sleeping though. I fell asleep with him on my chest after our 6am nursing "date". Thankfully, I was clothed enough for Garrett to take these sweet pictures of us! I have learned many many things as a new mother...one of them is how modesty takes a vacation! There is NOTHING in this world like the feeling of your child sleeping on your chest. Their little breaths, soft warm skin, and little hands holding onto you is one of the greatest gifts I have ever known. The reality of a beautiful new life being completely dependent on you is both overwhelming and humbling and all together life changing.
We had a wonderful day of visitors! Our family and friends were there bright and early to share in Hudson's first full day! I was super excited to take a shower! To my disappointment, the pregnancy weight fairy did not come during the night to take back what she had given me during the past 9 months! Although I like to joke about the extra "curves" every bit of the 32lbs I gained were a small price to pay for the miracle we had received...even though I was hoping that maybe at least 25lbs of it would be baby and would only have to worry about burning off the remaining 7lbs on the good ol' elliptical...no such luck.
Hudson was a very very popular little man as he was held by over 15 different visitors each day we were in the hospital. Heather and I had lots of fun dressing him in the different little onesies I had brought for him to wear. Even though they were newborn sizes, they seemed so big on him! They were super cute though, so fitting or not, he wore them!
I was so worried about Hudson scratching his face but I was too nervous to clip his nails myself so brave Aunt Heather stepped up to the plate and clipped them for us! Needless to say, they both survived, and Hudson still has his perfectly long TEN fingers and toes!

Heather and Ann taking turns...nicely!

Kimmy came to spend some special time with Hudson!
Betsy and Ron came to visit! Betsy is the world's greatest baby "burrito" bundler!
November 5th was such a special day for so many reasons, but to add to the list our wonderful friends Josh and Sarah welcomed their little bundle of love too!! Baby Hudson and Baby Kaitlyn were born on the same day! (Refer back to the September 29th Blog!)
Saturday, October 5th
and exactly one month later....November 5th...

The new daddies had a really great conversation on the phone while we were in the hospital sharing new daddy stories. I think one of the greatest moments was when I could tell that they were both taking everything in as Garrett took in a deep breath while Josh did the same on the other line and were just quiet for a minute. Neither had to explain. Their silence said everything that words could never describe. We can't wait until little Miss Kaitlyn and little Mr. Hudson can meet for the first time!
The night of November 6th Garrett and I were treated to a "Stork Dinner" compliments of the hospital. We had a very "romantic" dinner for two in the maternity ward's sun room. We had a lovely steak and shrimp dinner complete with sparkling grape juice and chocolate cake. As sweet as it was to be all alone for the first time since we left our house, we must have eaten the whole dinner in less than 15 minutes because we were so eager to get back to our little guy. It was a surreal feeling looking across the table that night and trying to wrap our heads around the fact that we were actually parents....we were a special little guy's mommy and daddy! It had only been 24 hours and we already felt so lonely without Hudson around. I guess that's when you know you are finally a family....when someone who totally consumes your heart is not by your side. As cheesy as it sounds, Jerry McGuire said it best when he said, "You complete me." Hudson completes us.
These are pictures from our very "romantic" first dinner as Hudson's mommy and daddy!
Before we got ready for bed, I discovered that Hudson's pinky fingernail was still a little scratchy. I thought since Heather made it look so easy, maybe I could give the baby nail clippers a try myself. Hudson was fast asleep as I took his teeny tiny little finger and began to clip his incredibly small nail. Everything was going fine until I gently squeezed down on the clippers. At this moment, Hudson let out a heartbreaking yelp and began to cry. I looked closer only to find that I accidentally cut the tip of his little finger. It started to bleed and I started to panic. So much so that I had to hand Hudson over to Garrett in fear that I just may pass out. Hudson had cried only for a few seconds before going back to sleep but I felt so horrible that I thought we better have a nurse look at what I had done. As silly as it sounds, the guilt of hurting him was nearly suffocating for me! We buzzed the nurses station and explained what had happened. Cassandra came down to look at his little finger and smiled as she said, "This happens all the time. I'm sure he has forgiven you already."
Well on that note, I couldn't help but think about all of the countless scraped knees and the bumps and bruises he will one day have. I better start preparing myself now!
We turned down the lights in our room and climbed into the hospital bed...all three of us!
It was the most amazing feeling ever. Snuggled as a family...watching Garrett effortlessly become the "daddy" I always knew he would be. I had dreamed of taking a picture like this of my boys for such a long time. I had our camera on the side table just in case the opportunity should present itself. It wasn't too long after we said our prayers and kissed goodnight when I turned and saw this.









No comments:
Post a Comment